Thursday, February 29, 2024

prison

The past is like a prison
I am serving a life sentence in it
My present conforms to the bars of my cell
And
There is no hope for rehabilitation
Each day the future rots on the tip of my tongue
Blasphemy rolls maddeningly past my lips as if driven by a steel horse train
Horror takes the shape of a sword in mouth and a pair of burning sapphire eyes
I await the finality of future events with self fulfilling anticipation
My mind races from one mistake to the next like the ticking guts of a clock
I am completely still, clawing at the void from which all thoughts are birthed
I am a silent witness to one robbery after the next as my hope is plundered.
My faith walks its last mile to a lethal injection from the past
And I am blameless, yet blamed
Resurrected, yet crucified
Innocent, yet riddled with guilt
My prison is the past and fate is my jailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment